The SUNY Institute for Academic and Innovative Leadership (SAIL) is grounded on the concept that colleges and universities need leaders who are strategic and innovative as well as have a firm understanding of the special nature of the academic core of the institutions that they serve. The SAIL Institute seeks to advance understanding and development of the next generation of leaders in higher education, and we are calling on you to nominate the people that are/will be charged with these critical leadership roles.
The SUNY SAIL Institute is pleased to offer the 2022 SUNY Student Leadership Academy. This Student Leadership Academy will be a semester-long virtual experience with six virtual seminars throughout the Fall semester.
When will the Student Leadership Academy take place?
SUNY SAIL Student Leadership Seminars will be held on Fridays from 1:00-3:00 p.m. throughout the Fall semester. **Please note the first and last session will take place 1:00-4:00pm.
The schedule is as follows:
- *Friday, October 21: Set Yourself Up for Success in College & The Power of Mentoring
- Friday, October 28: Know Yourself to Lead Others
- Friday, November 4: Communicating with Impact
- Friday, November 18: Managing People Responsibly: Creating Cultures of Accountability for Yourself and Others
- Friday, December 2: Creating inclusive environments as a student leader
- *Friday, December 9: Program Reflections and Graduation
Please note: Eligible students will need to be available for at least 5 of the 6 live sessions. In order to maintain an attendance record and ensure students are engaged in the sessions, a brief survey will be sent following each session.
To nominate yourself or have a faculty/staff member nominate you for the Student Leadership Academy, please answer the following application questions. Nominations will be accepted beginning May 11, 2022 and ending September 15, 2022
Who Should Be Nominated?
- Must be enrolled full-time or part-time in an accredited higher education institution with SUNY (or have graduated in the past two terms, May or August 2022)
- Students will need to commit to participating in at least 5 out of 6 of the student leadership programming sessions and complete a post-seminar survey after each session.
- Student applicant’s campus liaison will review all campus nominations and approve accepted students.
- Student participants are required to connect with their campus liaison at least twice: once in the beginning and once toward the end of academy.
Nominees must complete the application by September 15, 2022 for consideration. All applications will be reviewed by the applicant's campus liaison. The SUNY Student Leadership Academy will host up to two students per SUNY campus.
Nominees will be notified of their acceptance status by SUNY SAIL Institute by October 6, 2022. The program will kick-off October 21st at 1pm.
For more information, visit: https://sunysail.org/about-sail/student-leadership/